Friday, June 14, 2013

Rediscovering Biscayne Bay

Years ago, I earned my PhD, not because I am so smart or privileged (because I am neither), but because I have the need to immerse myself into one thing in attempt to learn everything about it through the collection and analyses of data.  I remember one year when I was studying for my comprehensive exams I had no social life for approximately four months. One Sunday afternoon I decided to take a break and go see a movie. When I arrived at what I thought was the scheduled time, I was told that the movie had started an hour ago. That's because daylight savings (spring ahead) began that day, unbeknownst to me. Duh!

I am much older now and a bit more grounded in reality. I am also fortunate enough that I can take a long break from work and use an entire summer to immerse myself in my photography of Biscayne Bay in preparation for the gallery exhibit next spring. To that end, Biscayne Bay has become my dissertation. For the past month, I have been going over hundreds of photographs (analyzing the data) from Biscayne Bay taken since 2007. The best part of the tedious project is I have rediscovered some old photographs and have more time to read up on the history of Biscayne Bay. 


Presented here are some of those photos that I have rediscovered and that may or may not make it to print. In the meantime, I am having a blast studying Biscayne Bay through a camera lens.



1 comment:

  1. One thing that strikes me about these photos are the perfect reflections! They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete